James B. Allen
James “J.B.” Allen is a commercial real estate and transactional attorney with over seventeen years of experience handling all aspects of complex residential, retail, office and industrial projects. J.B. has represented individual entrepreneurs, commercial lenders, real estate operating companies and multi-national corporations in matters involving property acquisitions and dispositions, joint venture formation, mortgage financing, and commercial leasing. In addition, J.B. has assisted clients with the development and management of their operations, including corporate formation and governance, asset and property management, employment agreements and guidelines, and dispute resolution.
J.B. combines his experience with a passionate, entrepreneurial approach to meet his clients’ needs. J.B. gets to know his clients, taking the time to understand both his clients’ immediate needs and long-term objectives. Conversely, J.B. provides proactive, clear and structured guidance to his clients, so that his clients can take action with maximum effectiveness and minimal surprises. Above all else, J.B. takes great pride in putting his clients first, and in helping them achieve great results.
Prior to joining the firm, J.B. was general counsel for a consulting firm specializing in brownfields redevelopment, and in-house counsel for State Farm Insurance Companies’ Investments Department. J.B. is currently a Fellow with the American College of Mortgage Attorneys, and President of the Chicago Mortgage Attorneys Association.
- Real Estate and Corporate Transactions
- Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Finance and Lending
- Commercial Leasing
- Joint Ventures and Entity Structuring
- Environmental Transactions
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, cum laude
B.A., Reed College
Fellow, American College of Mortgage Attorneys
Member, Illinois State Bar Association
President, Chicago Mortgage Attorneys Association
- Represented client in over thirty-five transactions involving the operation, redevelopment and sale of its multi-state hotel portfolio.
- Oversaw outside counsel in connection with a $100,000,000 loan secured by nineteen office and industrial properties in seven states.
- Represented client in connection with acquisition, financing and development of senior living facilities throughout the United States.
- Coordinated pre-foreclosure and foreclosure efforts for over thirty multi-family mortgage loans for a community bank.
- Negotiated and coordinated closings on over twenty loan modifications for institutional lender, and managed several deed-in-lieu acquisitions (and subsequent sales) for same.
- Represented developer in acquisition of government property for residential development in Glenview, Illinois.
- Represented client in $1,100,000,000 portfolio sale of over 300 residential apartment facilities located throughout the United States.
- Represented mezzanine lender in its acquisition of hospitality investor and coordination of asset sales with senior lender.
- Represented client in acquisition of several luxury apartment buildings in New York, New York.