Shelley Smith has gained a reputation among her clients and peers as a dedicated, responsive and highly effective lawyer over her many years practicing commercial litigation. She is an experienced trial lawyer who achieved successful outcomes trying cases in state and federal cases and through mediation and arbitration. The focus of her practice is on construction law matters, commercial leases, loan work-outs and foreclosures, mechanic’s lien, and broker fee and advisory fee disputes. Her broad experience also includes antitrust, business torts, partnership and limited liability company disputes, director and officer liability, breach of contract, equipment leasing, ERISA, class actions, securities, bankruptcy, restrictive covenants including non-competes, trade secrets, and patent and trademark infringement.
After spending three years as an associate with Sullivan & Cromwell, Shelley moved to Jenner & Block, where she was promoted to equity partner after four years, and practiced in this position for another 12 years. Before joining BUPD, she was a Visiting Assistant Professor at Marquette University Law School and Florida State College of Law, teaching Contracts, Commercial Law, Conflicts of Law, Global and Electronic Contracting, Negotiations and ADR.
- Hotel Condos: Federal Courts Dismiss Antitrust Claims, GlobeSt, (January 06, 2016) 11:24 AM ET)
- Ill. Developers’ Indemnity Rights Are Now Stronger, Law360, New York (September 24, 2014) 11:24 AM ET)
- Reforming the Law of Adhesion Contracts: A Judicial Response to the Subprime Mortgage Crisis, 14 Lewis & Clark L. Rev. 1035 (2010).
- A New Approach to the Identification and Enforcement of Open Quantity Contracts: Reforming the Law of Exclusivity and Good Faith, 43 Valparaiso Univ. Law Rev. 871 (Spring 2009).
- Removing Pre-CAFA Cases under the Act, For The Defense (July 2006).
- AV Peer Review Rating – Martindale-Hubbell’s Highest Rating
- Illinois Super Lawyer
- Business Litigation – 2015, 2016
- Antitrust Litigation – 2014, 2006
Bar and Community Service
- Center for Conflict Resolution, Director, 2001- 2005
- Young Women’s Leadership Charter School, Student Mentor, 2001-2004
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois, Director, 1991-2001
- Young Women’s Leadership Charter School, Student Mentor, 2000-2004
Bar Admissions and Memberships
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- Law School: Columbia University School of Law, J.D.
Harlan Fiske Stone scholar, Managing Editor of the Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems (top 20% of class)
- Undergraduate: State University of New York at Stony Brook, B.A. valedictorian, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa